It may seem simplistic, but this comforting sound definitely reduces stress instantly. It’s the sound of the heart chakra, which invokes love, trust, hope, openness, compassion, balance and forgiveness. It counteracts depression, loneliness and lack of self-esteem. This soothing tone is found in the sacred words of many faith traditions, including Amen, Alleluia, Aum and Allah’u’Abhá.
Here’s a heart opening practice that you can use to go deeper into the Ahhhh sound.
1. Begin by listening to the sound of your breath. Tip your chin down a little to make it slightly audible, like an ocean wave. Let it flow in and out without effort.
2. Now visualize your breath coming in through your heart, and out through your solar plexus. Imagine you are breathing in love and exhaling all toxic feelings and thoughts.
3. Now think of something that you feel appreciation for. It could be a joyful event in your life. A beautiful scene in nature. A loved one or a child. The important thing is that you create a feeling of gratitude in your heart. Feel this sense of gratefulness and imagine yourself surrounded by pink or green light. Keep breathing without straining.
4. On the next out-breath, let the sound ‘Ahhh” gently float out, as you release all tension. Continue breathing and toning ‘Ahhh’ at your own pace. Continue to feel loving gratitude as you think of one thing you appreciate about yourself and one thing you appreciate about someone else.
5. Visualize a beam of light, full of compassion coming from your heart and send it to …
- Someone you love
- Someone with whom you’ve had some difficulty
- Mother Earth and all her people
- Our Creator
With gratitude to Jonathan Goldman, International Sound Healer's Association.